Thursday, September 20, 2012

Insomnia Guilt Trip

September 13th

68 days left in country, something like that. I woke up this morning at 2:30 and then tossed and turned for an hour, suddenly only able to think guiltily about my promised West African French vocabulary project for Madame DeMarie (my high school French teacher who let me sit in on her classes before I came to Burkina) and the pictures I could use for it. I finally gave up trying to sleep at 3:30, made myself some mint green tea, and got started. I don't know if my computer's fan is broken and things are overheating, my hard drive is overly full, or if the file is just too large, but it takes an inordinate amount of time to select and change items or to save the presentation. Still, I got some done, wrote ideas for needed pictures, and started writing some descriptions in the notes in my pidgin village French. I've also been organizing the massive amount of digital resources I got from Lauren Savoy, including a video from a PCV in Guinea where the first 5 minutes are a perfect example of a West African market. Apparently everyone there eats rice at home and in the market, instead of here where everyone eats tô (although I guess it is rare to buy tô in the market, but millet or beans or manioc is more of a market staple than rice in my village).

I watched the sun rise and heard the village start to wake up as I worked, it was surprisingly nice even though it felt weird to be awake so early. I started my laundry around 7am, and had the first load up and drying when the slight overcast became dark and it started to downpour. After 30 minutes the rain stopped (the sun had started shining brightly about 10 minutes previously) and that was it for the day! So strange, the weather near the end of rainy season.

No comments:

Post a Comment